Thursday, February 13, 2014

Update


Hi all!

        Sorry for my long and unannounced absence.  Adapting to a new country and starting an MA programme at once was a bit more than I anticipated!  I have a few planned posts about hair and some new British favourites that will hopefully start appearing within the month.  Stay tuned!

         I would like add that since my earlier posts are going on three years now, I would encourage everyone to double check this information.  Most of the brands I discuss are Leaping Bunny approved, so the easiest course of action would simply be to compare my information against Leaping Bunny's current list.

         I would like to welcome any newcomers (Hi!)  and guide you towards my Guide for Sending and Interpreting Animal Testing Emails which can help you with your own research and discusses my cruelty free standards which have no changed.  Also check out my post What Does Cruelty Free Mean? which is a handy guide to all the terminology people throw around.

My Cruelty Free Standards:
1)  A company can not test ingredients and finished products on animals.
2) A company can not hire a third party to animal test ingredients or finished products.
3) A subsidiary can not be owned by a company that tests ingredients or finished products or contracts a third party to do so.
4) A company can not sell in China or any other country that reserves the right to animal test products sold there (I know there is some talk of things changing in China but nothing definite yet)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Rebekah! I adore your blog! I run a similar make-up based British one at crueltyfreebeauty.blogspot.co.uk it would be great to have your support and share new product finds etc! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I really like your blog, I love how strict you are with the "cruelty-free-ness" of the companies! I want to take a moment to thank you for making this blog and all this effort.
    I wanted to ask you something. I've been trying to only buy products from cruelty-free companies as well for the past couple of years, but it is very hard and very confusing with all the sneakiness of the companies that goes around. I recently contacted a couple of companies that are based in Greece (where I live), and I used your letter to ask them about their animal testing policies. My first question is: Can you every be sure that what they're telling you is the truth?
    Second question is, they replied and told me that they don't test products or ingredients on animals, they use patch tests to test everything on people who volunteer. Does that sound plausible to you, or did they totally BS me?
    Please reply to me, because honestly I have no one else that I could ask about this. Thanks for your time! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tania! I'm glad you enjoy the blog, and I'm so happy to hear someone has been using the email template!

      First Question: I think I've said before that we (the consumers) may never actually be sure about 'the truth' when contacting companies. This is part of the reason that trusted programs with high standards like Leaping Bunny are around. They keep a competent and vigilant watch while working with companies. If I am ever unsure of a company or feel like they have ambiguous answers, I avoid them. Legally, I'm assuming companies can not lie, but they can word answers to appears positive or focus on positive aspects to hide what you asked about.

      Second Question: I know that lots of companies, even beyond the cosmetic industry, do test on human volunteers. Obviously, they are testing much safer materials, usually finished products I believe, than they test on animals. In this case, I would make sure the company has not commissioned any third party testing of ingredients or finished products on animals. A lot of companies say "We do not test ingredients on animals" instead of saying "We hire another company to test on animals for us."

      I hope this was helpful! The only other thing I could suggest is purchasing products that are Leaping Bunny Approved so you're sure they aren't tested or looking for some Greek blogs that discuss the brands.

      Delete