Tuesday, May 14, 2013

I'm Moving to London!



I will be moving to London to earn a MA degree this year!  To prepare, I’ve been doing some research and will have some upcoming posts that discuss cruelty free standards in the UK and correspondence with brands there about their cruelty free status. 

The brands I have been researching sell mainly inexpensive makeup in case I ever need/want to pick up something new.  Since I already order the majority of my hygiene and household cruelty free products online to save money, I’m not too nervous about finding alternatives for these.  I checked with Vitacost, and they do ship to the UK.  Although some products can not be shipped into the country, I’m assuming this has to do with possibly harmful ingredients which wouldn’t be in my products anyways.

I’ve gotten some requests for information on foreign (to me) cruelty free brands before, so I figured it wouldn’t hurt to post this info.  As always, I recommend you email companies yourself using my guide here if there are brands specific to your area.

Stay tuned for UK-centric posts!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Rebekah, I've only just stumbled upon your blog and I am really glad I did so! It's very nice to see a blog that is dedicated to cruelty free information. I am a makeup enthusiast and over the past few months, I have also been going cruelty free with makeup products. It's very difficult to do! I am also trying to go leather-free. Though I am not a vegetarian or vegan, I'm trying to make more and more lifestyle choices that don't hurt animal. So thanks for your blog and I hope you keep it updated! I look forward to reading more posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment, Scarlett!

      Congrats on going cruelty free! This is an easy first step for most people who want to be more animal friendly since animal testing on products is so unnecessary, and there is a great selection of cruelty free items. I actually started this way as well.

      I'm working on a few posts right now about the vegan lifestyle, makeup, and home products so stay tuned :)

      Delete
  2. I lived in Sheffield and loved being in the UK! London is a great town with so much to do. The best thing now is that the new law was passed that bans all new cosmetics/hair/body products from being tested on animals, using ingredients that are tested on animals, and goes on to ban third party testing and importing as well. Hopefully the USA will jump on board as well. So you won't have to be limited to cheap brands. You are one of the lucky few US pats that can buy cruelty-free MAC, and now probably even Chanel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Lauren! I've traveled through Europe a few times, including London, so I feel confident about moving in general. However, I would love some tips if you have any to share!

      As far as products are concerned, I will still be avoiding brands that animal test and sell tested products elsewhere in the world so no MAC or Chanel for me. I really understand it the same way as subsidiaries of testing companies that I already avoid (and they even stopped testing on purpose not because the government forced them!).

      Plus I'm vegan, and I don't think they have anything that meets this criteria anyways :)

      Delete